What is School Within A College (SWAC)?
SWAC is a Transition to College program for students who are within 1 year of graduating. SWAC is offered at the Doon Campus of Conestoga College. Students may earn compulsory and elective secondary school credits through instruction and self-directed learning on Monday through Thursday, as well as 1 dual credit college course on Friday.
Secondary School credits offered include gd 11 and 12 English, and Math, phys-ed as well as credit recoveries and other electives. Dual credit college courses include Canadian Criminal Justice System, Early Childhood Education, Personal Support Worker, Psychology, and Recreation & Leisure. These courses are applicable to programs in Community Services and Health and Life Sciences.
Interested in learning more? Get the SWAC fact sheet HERE
Ready to apply? Get the application form HERE
Students are strongly encouraged to take an English or a Math Credit. Common courses taken at SWAC include the courses below, and others may be considered:
- ENG3C, ENG4C, or OLC40
- MEL3E, MEL4E, or MBF3C or MAP4C
- 9:00-1:30 Monday through Thursday
- SWAC teacher-led instruction in the morning followed by independent study with support from the SWAC teachers in the afternoon
- Students are also required to take physical education
- We are privileged to have access to the Conestoga College’s new recreation Center
- We have a wellness philosophy for all students and staff
DUAL CREDIT COURSE INFORMATION
- dual credit course occurs every Friday for a 3 hour class starting either at 9:00am or 12:30pm
- Taught by a college instructor with support from a SWAC teacher
- Success in your dual credit course earns you an elective credit towards your OSSD
COURSE OFFERINGS MAY INCLUDE:
- Crime Scene and Investigations CSI
- Group Fitness Leadership
- Canadian Criminal Justice System
- Positive Psychology
- Personal Support Worker
- Child Development: The Early Years
- Foundations of Curriculum
- Renewable Energy
ALREADY WORKING IN A PART-TIME JOB?
- Earn elective credits through co-op
- Student is responsible for all co-op expenses (travel and PPE)
Am I a good fit?
- Interested in exploring college pathways
- Self-directed learner
- Have the ability / motivation to attend regularly